Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To friends & family members of those newly diagnosed...

Hi, and welcome!

Type-1 diabetes can be a very scary diagnosis. There are a million unanswered questions and even more unfounded fears. For parents there is anxiety, doubt, blame, terror, and a myriad of other emotions running wild through your hearts and minds.

Let me be the first to tell you:

It's going to be all right!

This blog was created as a resource for you. I want you to learn as I learn, and more importantly I hope you learn from my mistakes. It's easy to look back over the course of time and concede that what seemed like a sound decision in the past was in fact an erroneous one. A major mistake I made with my diabetes was dismissing the pump.

I simply refused to allow myself to even consider the possibility of being on the insulin pump. You can look back to my first few posts to read why, but I can tell you that I was foolish and wrong for thinking so negatively.

The insulin pump is more than 'an alternative' to taking shots. I would say that comparing the pump to shots is like comparing type-1 to type-2 diabetes. Sure, in some ways they're alike; but in many more ways they are totally different.

Knowing how I feel now, compared to how I felt then (for over 20 years)....knowing that it would affect not only how I am, but who I am.....knowing that this one simple piece of equipment can prolong my life and improve my quality of life exponentially.....knowing the freedom it affords.....knowing that I am more now of who I was meant to be....knowing all that, and so much more I can confidently say:

Please do everything you can to convince, persuade, or encourage every single person with diabetes you EVER meet to get on the insulin pump IMMEDIATELY.

It's never too late, or too early to start.

Until next time, keep pumpin'...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled onto your blog - to run into a freshly posted "welcome." My son (1 1/2 yrs old) is newly-diagnosed, so thanks. :) He's on the pump - appreciate reading about your experiences.
About the parents' and kids' responses to questions at camp - I'm dying to read what the kids said. Realize it's an older post, but maybe you'll post their responses sometime?

Take care!

James said...

Hello, and thank you for your comment! I'm glad you stumbled across the blog. I'd like to hear more about your son, and how the pump is working out for him.

It's great to hear you've got a team that believes in the pump. Many other children are not so fortunate.

Thanks also for reminding me about the kids' responses, I'll be sure to post that soon!

Everything's going to be all right!

Stay strong, and keep pumpin!