Monday, June 1, 2009

What I regret about choosing the insulin pump over taking shots or any other diabetes management technique



















































(nothing)

The pump will change your life in ways you cannot imagine. The fears you or your loved ones have will evaporate. The hesitations will feel like silly excuses after you make the switch. There is no good reason to at least give it a try.

I figured I'd hate it and be back to my old regimen within weeks. After 4 hours I knew that I would never go back. 4 hours. 240 minutes.

The cost was an excuse. Turns out insurance covered almost all of it, sans about $600. Knowing what I know now, even if I had to pay FULL PRICE ($7,000+) I would.

My only regret is not making the switch earlier. But the way I see it, I just added a bunch of years - good, healthy, feeling GREAT YEARS - on my life to make up for all the lost time.

I had a virtual book of excuses in my mind of why it just wasn't for me. I could not have been more wrong. I'm just like you, just like your diabetic friend, just like your diabetic cousin. Wanting to feel better, but thinking it was as good as it could be. Thinking 20 shots a day would be better than that awful tubing, and being connected all the time. Wrong, wrong, wrong! When you're not on the pump, you can't imagine what it's like, because you don't really feel that good. Even if you're A1c is o.k., you're probably on the diabetes-rollercoaster (a 250 and a 30 = a 140 average, but so do a 120 and a 160; do you think they feel the same?)

I am committed to telling everyone, everywhere that this is the most logical, sensible, and practical way to manage diabetes.

What do I regret about choosing the pump over shots?

















































































2 comments:

beckybj said...

Clever:)

AND

Awesome!

Karen said...

I agree 100%!!!!